FDNY: Extension Cord Caused Deadly Manhattan Apartment Fire
Officials from the New York Fire Department say the vicious fire that blazed through a 42-story Manhattan apartment building, which resulted in the death of a gay playwright and injured his new husband, was caused by an extension cord, New York City CW-affiliated station WPIX reports.
According to WPIX, a fire marshal confirmed that the fire that blazed through The Strand condominium, located on West 43rd Street in the Hell’s Kitchen neighborhood of midtown Manhattan, was caused by a power strip, which may have been connected to a Christmas tree.
As reported on Monday, the fire killed Daniel McClung, a 27-year-old playwright, and injured his new husband, Michael Todd Cohen, 32, when they tried to escape the building. The couple was found in a stairwell about 10 floors above where the fire started.
McClung was pronounced dead at Roosevelt Hospital and Cohen was reportedly taken to New York-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Hospital, but is now in a stable condition.
More than 200 firefighters responded to the fire, which started on the building’s 20th floor. Authorities said it took firefighters an hour and 40 minutes to control the fire.
Seven other people in the building and some firefighters suffered minor injuries.